RTM supported Admin tool does not reflect Reporting Services roles properly

Topics: For TFSAdmin Users
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:05 PM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by DavidZ
-------------------------------------------------------

We enter our users through the tool. (Having logged into the machine as a person who has administrator rights on the single server TFS box). Clicking "Save" saves all the administrator rights appropriately. Later on we come back into the tool and the interface has blanks for a number of the users in the Reporting Services column although their permissions are unchanged on the server. (It never sees the problem with the TFS or Sharepoint permissions.) No error occurs as far as we are aware --- they are just blank (red). This makes the tool OK for a first time load, but unusable for a maintenance utility. Is anybody else seeing this or what may cause this?
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:05 PM
originally posted by Christer O

Yes, we have also seen that. I have also got the feeling that that changes isn't always stored correctly but that may be a display problem?

/Christer
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:06 PM
originally posted by dzimmy

I thought it might be a storage thing as well, but it looks right if you go and look at the permissions in reporting services "manually". (However --- delete doesn't reflect appropriately once the UI gets in this state as well. ) But I'm leaning towards a UI issue causing the delete problem in the second instance as well.
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:12 PM
originally posted by Joe Morel - MSFT

I'm unable to duplicate this on my machine. Could you give me an example of what roles the user has in SQL RS when you encounter this bug? What are the details of your setup? (SQL version, domain or workgroup setup, number of users in TFS, TFS permissions for the users that aren't showing up, etc.)

Thanks!
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:12 PM
originally posted by Joe Morel - MSFT

Still not able to duplicate, but are you sure that you have "Content Manager" permissions to the SQL RS server? If you don't, the tool will not be able to display or make modifications to the RS server.
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:13 PM
originally posted by Christer O

I can repeat this but I can't see a clear pattern.

For one Team System Project this applies:

One user is always displayed "red" for Reporting services although it looks good from RS. I removed the user completely from TS before adding it and it is still the same. This seems to be user specific. Other users don't behave this way.

I also noticed that if I convert a user from Project Administrators to Readers it get Browser;Content Manager for RS although it should only be Browser. Content Manager isn't revoked correctly.

Regards
Christer
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:16 PM

Joe, sorry so long to respond. I was thinking the problem might have gone away because I was able to see the users accurately a couple of days later, but I really didn’t have a chance to mess with it much at that point. Today I had to add in some more users and I’m seeing the exact same weird behavior. The new users all save correctly – and if you check the three tiers they all register correctly, but when you close down the tool and come back into to it, you get the following view as if the accounts weren’t registered on the reporting server. (no errors -- no nothing)

Is it possible there is some sort of delay before the reporting server can report back its user permissions? -- not sure what's up.

Configuration Details you asked about:

This is a textbook single server setup with SQL Server 2005 Standard edition on Windows Server 2003 -- all the service packs.

I’m logging into a box using the tfssetup account (admin) (and I've tried it with other admin privledged users as well and see the same results)

This is a domain setup. Here is the exact list of user permissions in TFS (minus the names - but all standard domain accounts) as shown in tool and verified in Studio's view of the info:

USER
TFS
SHAREPOINT
REPORTING SVCS

sptfuser
Contributors
Contributor;Web Designer
Publisher

user1
Readers
Reader
Browser

tfsservice
Build Services

user2
Contributors
Contributor;Web Designer

PMuser
Project Administrators
Administrator
Content Manager

developer1
Contributors
Contributor;Web Designer
Publisher

developer2
Contributors
Contributor;Web Designer

admin1
Project Administrators
Administrator
Content Manager;Report Builder

user3
Contributors
Contributor;Web Designer
Publisher

admin2
Project Administrators
Administrator
Publisher;Content Manager

Notice that user2 and developer2 are not showing up. This appears to be somewhat random -- although I don't think I've ever seen it happen with an admin account. Here are the same users as listed in reporting services....

Here is the same list of user as seen on our reporting server:

Group of User
Roles

BUILTIN\Administrators
Content Manager

admin2
Publisher, Content Manager

developer1
Publisher

user2
Publisher

PMuser
Content Manager

admin1
Content Manager, Report Builder

user1
Browser

developer2
Publisher

sptfuser
Publisher

user3
Publisher

also note that tfssetup (the single server admin) was never setup as a user because I assumed he had the rights already.

Let me know if you need more details…
Aug 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM

By the way, my hypothesis that it may somehow be related to time does not appear to be the case. I get the same results from the tool this morning.

And I double-checked on the server and there are no application or system events logged during the time this application is retrieving the information.
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:01 PM
originally posted by Kannan_MSFT

I am trying to reproduce your issue on our setup here. Shall let you know.

-Kannan
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:34 PM

Kannan, we're not seeing the breakage going against the RTM version now. We just did a straight upgrade (no change of permissions or anything.) So, good news so far.
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:35 PM
originally posted by Pure Krome

the issue occurs with some of the users with my setup.

my setup is a single-server TFS install, using the RTM (or whatever the current version is available on msdn or wherever the sysdamin guys grabbed it from). OS 2003 web edition with sp1, sql2005 standard with the hotfix that came with the tfs download. dot net 2.0 also had the hotfix applied that came with the tfs download.

tfs is also connected with AD, not workgroup.
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:41 PM
originally posted by Kannan_MSFT

Hi Pure Krome,

Could you give some additional details about these users. What permissions they have on TFS etc. This would help me try to reproduce the issue here.

Thanks,
Kannan.
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:42 PM

If you want to email me directly... I can go back and forth with you on this. My example above of users is happening again on the RTM release
Aug 15, 2006 at 11:42 PM
originally posted by Pure Krome

Kannan, i can provide some screen shots and upload them to a public site (eg. imageshack.com or something).

if so, what screenies would u like? i can do a shot of TFS Administration Tool (once i've connected to a team project).