SharePoint site status: Unauthorized

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users, TFSAdmin FAQ
Dec 8, 2009 at 3:15 PM

When looking at the list of users for my TFS the column for Sharepoint Roles is greyed out (TFS Roles and Reporting Serviecs Roles are OK).  If i look at an individual user, there are no Sharepoint Roles to select from and this portion of the User(s) Configuration page is disabled.

Looking at the output log i can see the following:

12/8/2009 2:41:38 PM: Exception occurred
                       Type: System.Net.WebException
                       Message: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
                       InnerException: -
                       Source: System.Web.Services
                       Target: System.Object[] ReadResponse(System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientMessage, System.Net.WebResponse, System.IO.Stream, Boolean)
                       Stacktrace:    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePoint.UserGroup.GetRoleCollectionFromWeb()
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePointProxy.GetSecuritySettings()
12/8/2009 2:41:39 PM: Initializing roles
12/8/2009 2:41:39 PM: SharePoint site status: Unauthorized

Any ideas what is wrong with my setup?

Thanks

Ian

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Ian,

It looks like the user account running the tool does not have the necessary SharePoint permissions. The user running the tool should be a Team Foundation Server administrator. Could you please take a look at this MSDN article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb552341.aspx) and make sure that the correct SharePoint permissions are in place. Let us know how it goes.

Ladislau

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Hi, I am a member of the Team Foundation Server Administrators group....

Also, I can see, via a web browser, the Central Admin page (on port 17012), but if I go to the site without specifying a port I get an 'Error: Access Denied' message

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Ian,

In order to get a Team Foundation Server administrator you need to have the correct Team Foundation Server, SharePoint and Reporting Services permissions. In your case, you are missing the correct SharePoint permissions as you are getting an "Access Denied" on the default website. You will have to set up your SharePoint permissions as described in the MSDN article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb552341.aspx). Let us know how it goes.

Ladislau