Why is Import Users disabled?

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users, TFSAdmin FAQ
Sep 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I can now connect to various projects on TfsAdmin 2.0, but some of my projects have the 'import Users' button enabled, and some have it disabled.

Why is this?

Also, on the project where I can import users, this only works when importing from the current collection. I would like to be able to copy permissions from a project in one TPC to a project in another TPC. Is this planned for a later release?

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Answering my own question after using the product for a while - they are disabled because there are no other projects loaded with users who can be loaded.

However, moving permissions between TPC's doesn't seem to be supported (at least, I haven't found out how to do it).

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

That is correct. Currently we support only importing user permissions between team project from the same team project collection. Due to this limitation in order to use this functionality one needs to have at least two team projects opened in the TFS Administration Tool. In the future we might consider allowing importing user permissions between team projects in different team project collections.

Thanks, Ladislau 

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I wrote a customized version that does move permissions from a project in one TPC to a project in a different TPC. I would like to upload it for other people, so how do I contribute?

Oct 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Zedhex I would love, Love to see your solution and possibly contribute code. Can you post it to say skydrive and post a link? Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM

@zedhex, @AllenFeinberg: Glad to see the desire to contribute !!! Currently I would like to get a new version of the TFS Administration Tool which works with the TFS2010 object model out the door. As soon as we are done with that I would be more than happy to add the new feature that you have implemented. In case you would like to help us out, please drop me an email at lszomoru@live.com and I will share a private build with you that you can test.

Thanks, Ladislau