Problem Installing TFS Administration Tool

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users, TFSAdmin FAQ
Jan 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Hi!
I have 2 questions:

1) Where should I install the TFS Administration Tool? On the server where I have installed Team Foundation Server and team Explorer, OR On the client computure where I have Team Explorer and visual studio 2008.

2) When I Was trying to install the toll I got the error "Team foundation Server Team Explorer is not installed. Pleas install.....". I have installed Team Explorer 2008 on my Server.
Jan 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM
One more Question!

If I get the error TF31002 Unable to connect to the Team foundation Server... from the clients when trying to connect to the TFS.
Does this tool remove the problem?
Coordinator
Jan 6, 2008 at 9:05 PM
TFS Admin tool will not resolve the TF31002 error that you are getting. I would recommend installing TFS Power Tools December 2007 release from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/tfs2008/bb980963.aspx. This package contains a tool called Best Practices Analyzer. I would recommand running this tool against your TFS server and will point out any configuration errors which would prevent you from connecting to the server.

-Ladislau

Nezdet wrote:
One more Question!

If I get the error TF31002 Unable to connect to the Team foundation Server... from the clients when trying to connect to the TFS.
Does this tool remove the problem?

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Edited Jan 7, 2008 at 3:22 AM
Thanks for the information...

Should I install power tools on the server or my client ?
Jan 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM
Hi,

I get the same error as Nezdet: "When I Was trying to install the toll I got the error "Team foundation Server Team Explorer is not installed. Pleas install.....". I have installed Team Explorer 2008 on my Server".

It seems like I have to have the VSTS 2005 Team Explorer installed to install the TFS Administration Tool. Is that correct?

/Magnus
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM
I am about to release the next version that would work fine with VS 2008 early next week. So stay tuned.
Feb 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM
I installed TFS Admin PowerTool 1.2 with TFS 2005 SP1

I go to TEAM > Process Editor

And open a WIT from one of my servers.

The WIT opens and I can see just the xml . How do I get the nice GUI? This is a new install on my laptop. I did a previous install on a desktop I no longer have and I got the nice gui application and could see the workflow editor etc.
Feb 6, 2008 at 2:31 AM
Edited Feb 6, 2008 at 2:31 AM

Nungster wrote:
I installed TFS Admin PowerTool 1.2 with TFS 2005 SP1

I go to TEAM > Process Editor

And open a WIT from one of my servers.

The WIT opens and I can see just the xml . How do I get the nice GUI? This is a new install on my laptop. I did a previous install on a desktop I no longer have and I got the nice gui application and could see the workflow editor etc.

I ran into the same issue and documented the solution here, http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2007/06/team-foundation-server-power-tool.html

I hope this helps,
Greg
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:54 PM
Thank you very much Greg for your help!

I downloaded the Microsoft DSL Redistributable from:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=693EE22D-4BB1-450D-835C-59EEBCB9F2AE&displaylang=en

and installed it.

Did a Repair install on the TFS Admin Power Tool and voila! It now works like it should!

Thanks again!

Nung