Error with TFS 2008, SQLServer 2008 on Windows 2008


Is the tool compatible with SQL Server 2008 yet?
Tool connects to my new TFS Server ok. When I connect to a project and click "Select" I receive the following error:
System.InvalidOperationException occurred
Message="Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.\r\nThe request failed with an empty response."
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.DDSolutions.SqlReportServer.ReportServer.ReportingService.ListRoles() in D:\Work\TFSAdmin-37063\Microsoft.DDSolutions.SQLReportServer\Web References\ReportServer\Reference.cs:line 3276
   at Microsoft.DDSolutions.SqlReportServer.ReportingServiceProxy.get_Roles() in D:\Work\TFSAdmin-37063\Microsoft.DDSolutions.SQLReportServer\ReportingServiceProxy.cs:line 75
Closed Apr 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM by lszomoru


ewdev wrote Sep 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Hi, I got the exact same error on a fresh install of TFS 2008 SP1 and Team Explorer 2008 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008. Looking at the message I would put a guess at a MIME type issue. I got this error no matter whether I was on the TFS Server or a remote client.

wrote Sep 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM

wrote Sep 26, 2008 at 4:27 AM

ikemanuel wrote Sep 26, 2008 at 4:29 AM

Getting same error. Clean install of Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, TFS 2008 SP1, and Team Explorer 2008 SP1.

sbwong wrote Oct 1, 2008 at 2:39 AM

Same error for me as well on a TFS 2008 SP1 + Windows Server 2008 tri-tier setup: app tier on 32-bit virtual machine, data tier on the 64-bit host machine with 64-bit SQL Server 2008 with separate 64-bit MOSS server. This error renders TFSAdmin completely useless. I noticed that even though the download link says v1.3, the "About" box inside of the TFSAdmin says v1.2. I hope that's just a typo.

Any progress on a fix for this?

JeroenRitmeijer wrote Oct 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Same here, all 2008 components on 3 tiers.

wrote Oct 12, 2008 at 11:21 AM

JeroenRitmeijer wrote Oct 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM

I have found the source of the bug. It appears to be a bug in TFS, which returns the URL to a deprecated web service that is no longer present in SQL Reporting Service 2008.

I have created a blog entry that describes the solution at


wrote Nov 26, 2008 at 11:09 PM

wrote Dec 2, 2008 at 1:49 AM

wrote Dec 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM

wrote Dec 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM

wrote Jan 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM

codep_rykie wrote Jan 8, 2009 at 2:29 AM

Same error for me on TFS 2008 SP1 and SQL Server 2008

wrote Jan 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM

wrote Feb 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM

MotoWilliams wrote Feb 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM

My system as well. The problem is that your tool is WAY too useful now and is pretty much a "required" thing for our TFS administrator!! :) We are on Window 2008, TFS 2008 SP1 etc etc.

sspotts wrote Feb 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Exact same issue with the exact same configuration, here.

wrote Feb 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM

sspotts wrote Feb 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM

This is kind of higher than a "low" impact since it basically breaks the app completely if one is using currently released product in their stack. As there was a solution shown in a bloc in October, is it possible to incorporate as a minor update?

mruminer wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I am prepping up a release for this fix.

mruminer wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Here is a bit of info that actually came from someone else on this team. Just to keep you informed.

I haven't studied the issue carefully, but I see one person suggesting that the TFS URL for SSRS get updated to ReportService2005.asmx to avoid the problem. That might work, but I think it would break TFS 2005 clients. Here is a note from an engineer on the TFS team that I pulled from a support case where someone had done this to try to solve a different problem:

For back compat reasons, after upgrade the RS server registered in the server is still (or at least should be) the ReportService.asmx version (you can confirm/check the url with tfsadminutil configureconnections). When TFS 2008 clients connect, they get the registered url and then do a string replace on it at runtime to target the ReportService2005.asmx version instead. The SOAPAction mismatch you saw is what you get when you send the request to ReportService.asmx instead of ReportService2005.asmx, but that shouldn't be the issue if you're still connecting with TFS 2005 clients.

It may be that we just need to teach the TFS Admin tool to do the same string manipulation on the SSRS URL.

wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

sstjean wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I'm going to start looking into this today. I have a Win2k3 server with TFS 2008 SP1 on SQL2k8 available to test with.

wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 5:07 PM

wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Associated with changeset 47845.

wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Associated with changeset 47846.

wrote Mar 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Associated with changeset 47847.

wrote Mar 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Associated with changeset 47926.

wrote Mar 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM

Associated with changeset 48185.

wrote Mar 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Associated with changeset 48200.

wrote Mar 14, 2009 at 8:21 PM

wrote Mar 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM

wrote Apr 2, 2009 at 9:45 PM

wrote Feb 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM

wrote May 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM