User Groups from Active Directory

Topics: For TFSAdmin Users
Aug 21, 2006 at 2:34 PM
Hi,

Is it possible that TFS Administration Tool does not support User Groups from AD? We have two AD Groups (Users/Admins) which are not shown in the User List from TFS Admin Tool.

Greetings dafihe
Jun 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM
We use AD groups as well.  This would be a great feature.
Feb 9, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I will add my vote on this one. We are moving toward using nested groups in my company and we already have approximately 30 projects that are already converted to using AD Groups.  As it is right now, I can only use this tool (VERY NICE TOOL, BTW) on the 69 projects that are not yet converted.  As time goes by, this tool will be of less and less use to us until AD Groups are supported.

ALL: Be sure to add your vote under the issue tracker tab if you agree.

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM

At the moment the TFS Administration Tool supports Windows Groups however it does not support nesting of Windows Groups. I was wondering if you could describe in details how you are using nested groups to manage permissions so that I can better understand your requirement. Also I would like to know what would be the ideal way to handle nested groups in TFS Administration Tool.

Thanks, Ladislau

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM

We are using the standard TFS groups for the access control but we are adding Active Directory groups to the TFS groups so that we can keep our user management in AD. When someone changes jobs or leaves, the management tasks in AD also provide access rights needed in our TFS system.

It would seem that you would want to treat the group as a unit in the TFS Admin utility. Display groups as you display users. Do not attempt to show the users of the group. That would be outside of the scope of your tool.

ian