TFS admin tool error message.

Topics: For TFSAdmin Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:11 AM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by AaronJ
-------------------------------------------------------

We have a few projects we manage in Team System. Recently we setup the TFS admin tool. We're able to access one of the projects with no problem, but when we select the other project an error message comes up stating:

Invalid Server

Any help would be appreciated.
Aug 16, 2006 at 6:12 AM
originally posted by John DAddamio - MSFT
Hi,

Are the projects on the same server?

John
originally posted by John DAddamio - MSFT

There is also a constraint that the TFS Admin tool must be running on a machine that is in the same domain as the server it's trying to access. So, if the projects are on different servers in different domains, you'd have to set up two copies of the TFS Admin tool.

Someone from the user community recently volunteered to modify the code to remove that constraint but the new version is not yet available.

If the two projects are on the same server or are at least in the same domain, please give us some more info so we can try to help.

John
originally posted by AaronJ
------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the reply. The projects are on the same server and the machines are in the same domain.

aaron
originally posted by Joe Morel - MSFT
I'm going to assign this to our dev and see if he has any insight on that error message.
originally posted by Michael Ruminer

I'm that community person that volunteered to provide some updates to the code that would resolve the cross domain use of the tool.

I have posted the code to the TFS Admin Tool team and when it gets through QA and all that good stuff I'm sure it will be in the next release.
Nov 30, 2006 at 3:24 PM
Is this issue resolved? I downloaded the latest version 1.1 but still have the same issue that when I click on any of the TFS projects I get this error 'Invalid Servers'
Apr 25, 2007 at 12:41 AM
I too am having this problem and I am on the same domain as the server. Has there been a resolution?
Apr 25, 2007 at 3:54 AM
While I do not know for sure, I think this problem might be due to the fact that I was trying to use it with a team project that was created from a template where we had removed the SharePoint Portal and Reporting Services plug-ins. I later noticed issue #2937 (Support for team projects without sharepoint portal and/or reporting), so then I tried running TFSAdmin on a project that was created based on the MSF for Agile template, and it worked fine. I guess I'll put in a vote for issue #2937 in light of this.

Interestingly enough, the Process Template Editor Power Tool also does not support process templates with these plug-ins removed. I guess the Tools are still Toys in many respects.
Aug 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM
I get the same message on 1.3 when running on the TFS application tier for all projects.  Any ideas?
Sep 22, 2008 at 12:32 PM
I have the same Error mesage for all our Projects "Invalid server"...Our setuo is also on the same server and in a domain. I'm running the Tool on the server as well.
Any hints?
Sep 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM
I am also having a few issues... The Invalid Server message seemed to be that the list of Site Collection Administrators only contained the user account that created the TFS Project (although I had added additional user accounts to the Team Site), so I assume this is an issue with TFS itself.  Adding the account that I am running the TFS Admin tool got me passed that problem, however...

The following line is generating the unhandled exception below:

ReportServer.

Role[] rsRoles = SQLReportingServices.ListRoles();

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
  Message="Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.\r\nThe request failed with an empty response."
  Source="System.Web.Services"
  StackTrace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.SqlReportServer.ReportServer.ReportingService.ListRoles()
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.SqlReportServer.ReportingServiceProxy.get_Roles()
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.TfsAdmin.Controller.GetInvalidRolesFromMappings(String nodeName, String system) in D:\Source\TFS2008 Tools\TFSAdmin-37063\src\Controller.cs:line 280
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.TfsAdmin.MainForm.OnSelectNode() in D:\Source\TFS2008 Tools\TFSAdmin-37063\src\MainForm.cs:line 441
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.TfsAdmin.MainForm.btnSelect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Source\TFS2008 Tools\TFSAdmin-37063\src\MainForm.cs:line 271
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
       at Microsoft.DDSolutions.TfsAdmin.Program.Main() in D:\Source\TFS2008 Tools\TFSAdmin-37063\src\Program.cs:line 19
  InnerException:

Kinda stuck now.

My envirnment is Windows Server 2003, Server, SQL Server 2008, TFS 2008 SP1, and I am using the 37063 build of the Admin Tool

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Hi,
The error looks very similar what you get, when you try
to create a new TFS project in TFS2008+SP1 with
Visual Studio 2008 without SP1. So whatever MS
fixed in Visual Studio, should be fixed in TFS Admin.

When i tried to dig down to the error, it looked that
there is a problem how the client does soap call with
authentication. A wild guess is that if TFS admin would be
compiled with .Net3.5+SP1, it might work...
-Kimmo
Mar 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM
Hi,
    We had this error after manually adding another administrator to TFS 2008 on SQL Server 2005, and then running tfsadmin as that user, Once we logged into tfsadmin with the original tfs installer account and then gave permissions to the sharepoint and sql reporting services for the new admin account the invalid server error was resolved for the new admin user

tfs installed on a single server and both account and server in the same domain

-Derek
Jul 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM

About the Invalid Server, see my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthUPGkpNrw

or highres http://www.screencast.com/users/MJVickers/folders/Jing/media/1ca133ed-49a7-43c9-ab34-2ce9e1d17b80