TFS Admin tool 1.0 only allowing one edit per session

Topics: For TFSAdmin Users
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM
migrated from power toy forums
originally posted by dzimmy
-------------------------------------------------------

When we attempting to edit more than one user at a time, it only saves the first change. In fact judging by the edit icons on the left, only the first change is ever reflected there. If we hit commit only the first change saves.

To be more specific, even if you attempt a commit after each change, only the first one ever works.

It would be nice if tool about had a version of the tool, but I downloaded this from v1.0 msi from zip file on Codeplex.
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM
originally posted by Kannan_MSFT

I downloaded the same version from codeplex and tested it against my TFS server and it seems to work fine. I did multiple edits across multiple users and couldn't reproduce the problem. Could you tell me what messages were shown in the bottom action log.

Thanks,
Kannan.
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:06 AM
------------------------------------------------------

I go to edit a user's permission in the Reporting Services column and I get the nice little paper with a checkmark on the left where the human head used to be. If I go and edit another one after that, I get no paper in the left-hand column. If I click commit after that, only the first one saves according to the "action" grid on the bottom, and there is no sign of even an attempt on the others. (and yes there is no change on the server, even though the others appear changed -- until a refresh is done of course).
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:06 AM
originally posted by John DAddamio - MSFT

Hi Dzimmy,

I managed to reproduce the symptoms you described but only occassionally. Frequently, the second change not only works but the little icon with the check mark appears next to the second user too. So, the problem that we are seeing is intermittent rather than "always happens".

If you can describe a way that makes it always happen, it may make it easier for us to find the problem.

One thing to note is that for your changes to take effect, you must exit the field before hitting Commit Changes. If you don't, the Commit Changes sees your edits as an error . I found that, if I did not exit the field before saving, the second edit always failed.

But, I think you would know if that were happening to you because the error is signaled by turning the field's background a bright red. If you aren't one of the small minority of people who cannot see the color red, you'd have noticed!

This is definitely a bug and we will schedule time to resolve it. We will post here when we have a fix. Hopefully, it won't be too far in the future but we haven't scheduled it yet.

Regards,
John
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:08 AM
----------------------------------------------------

Interesting. Thanks for checking into it. I wonder what the difference between our environments is? It takes no effort to reproduce this whatsoever in our environment, and yes red isn't my handicap. If you ever need to repro it, I would be glad to let you drive the application by sharing one of our desktops through a Live Meeting session. I was going to step through the codeplex version to see what's up, but I just haven't had the bandwidth to try. I'll let you know as well if I can give you more technical details on what is happening.
Aug 16, 2006 at 7:08 AM
originally posted by rpreston
----------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I thought I would mention that I'm seeing the same behavior plus I get an ArgumentOutOfRange exception when I click in the reporting services field for the last user in my list which is the 17th user.

Also, I thought I'd mention that the default permissions for reporting services probably ought to include the ability to run reports and not just publish them. I'm sure that's a known issue unless I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Richard
Oct 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Was this problem supposed to be corrected in TFS Admin Tool 1.3?

If so, I'd like to report that it is not dead.  I am still seeing the problem with 1.3. 
My installation was an upgrade from the previous version (1.2?).
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  No joy.

I am using TFS 2008.

Dick
Nov 14, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Yes, this problem still exists in 1.3 - very consistently.
You can add multiple users in one session, but if you want to set the same role for multiple users to the same value, only the first modification occurs.
You then need to exit and restart the tool.
Going to a different project does not help.
Mar 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM
There is someone that is looking into this now. This is expected to be fixed in the 1.4 release.