can't get user list

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users
Jan 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I've been trying to use the TFS Admin tool to work with our users for our Team Projects. 

We are running TFS 2008.  I've tried with both TFS admin tool 2.0 and 2.1.

2.0 I get this error:

1/13/2011 6:37:00 AM: TFS Admin Tool application started
1/13/2011 6:37:02 AM: Button clicked: Server Explorer CONNECT
1/13/2011 6:37:37 AM: Connecting to Team Foundation Server: dotnettfs
1/13/2011 6:37:39 AM: Successfully connected to Team Foundation Server dotnettfs
1/13/2011 6:37:41 AM: Selecting Team Foundation Server: dotnettfs
1/13/2011 6:37:42 AM: Selecting Team Project: LoansPlatformProjects
1/13/2011 6:37:42 AM: UserGroup.Url: http://dotnettfs/sites/LoansPlatformProjects/_vti_bin/usergroup.asmx
1/13/2011 6:37:42 AM: ReportingService.Url: http://dotnettfs/reportserver/reportservice.asmx/DummyReportServiceUrl.asmx
1/13/2011 6:37:42 AM: Getting list of users for Team Foundation Server: dotnettfs, Team Project: LoansPlatformProjects
1/13/2011 6:37:48 AM: Exception occurred
                       Type: System.InvalidOperationException
                       Message: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with an empty response.
                       InnerException: -
                       Source: System.Web.Services
                       Target: System.Object[] ReadResponse(System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientMessage, System.Net.WebResponse, System.IO.Stream, Boolean)
                       Stacktrace:    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.ReportServer.ReportingService2005.GetPolicies(String Item, Boolean& InheritParent) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\Web References\ReportServer\Reference.cs:line 3358
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.ReportServiceProxy.GetSecuritySettings(String name) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\ReportServiceProxy.cs:line 177
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.TeamFoundationServerProxy.InitializeServerAndTeamProjectUsers() in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\TeamFoundationServerProxy.cs:line 165
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Controllers.MainController.OnTeamProjectSelected(String serverName, String projectName) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool\Controllers\MainController.cs:line 149
   at TFSAdministrationTool.mainForm.LoadUserDataFromServer(String serverName, String teamProject) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool\MainForm.cs:line 990
   at TFSAdministrationTool.mainForm.serverTreeView_DoubleClick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool\MainForm.cs:line 226

I get the pop up about it having an issue connecting to Reporting services.  Not sure if that is same concept between the 2.0 error and the 2.1 one.

What are some options I have for debugging this so I can use this tool? I am having issues with my users that I was hoping this tool would help me with.

Thanks .  Kevin

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Based on the callstack it looks like we are having issues calling the GetPolicies web method. If you are trying to connect to the LoansPlatformProjects from Team Explorer, do you see a Red X on the "Reports" folder? Can you also try to open IE and navigate to http://SERVERNAME/Reports. Are you getting any errors messages when navigating to that website? Could you please run these tests and post back the results?

Thanks, Ladislau