Cannot change Reporting Services Roles

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users
Aug 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I have a two-server TFS 2010 hosted via Hyper-V. Installed this Admin Tool 2.0 on the App Tier. When I tried to connect to my team project (AAA) and add users via the Admin Tool, the Reporting Services Roles part is greyed out. This is the log that was generated:

8/27/2010 5:06:15 PM: TFS Admin Tool application started
8/27/2010 5:06:28 PM: Button clicked: Server Explorer CONNECT
8/27/2010 5:06:31 PM: Connecting to Team Foundation Server: http://localhost:8080/tfs
8/27/2010 5:06:31 PM: Successfully connected to Team Foundation Server http://localhost:8080/tfs
8/27/2010 5:06:32 PM: Selecting Team Foundation Server: http://localhost:8080/tfs
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Selecting Team Project: AAA
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: UserGroup.Url: http://tfsapp/sites/DefaultCollection/AAA/_vti_bin/usergroup.asmx
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: ReportingService.Url: http://localhost:8080/tfs//DummyReportServiceUrl.asmx
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Getting list of users for Team Foundation Server: http://localhost:8080/tfs, Team Project: AAA
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: SharePoint site status: Available
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Reporting Services site status: Unavailable
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Initializing roles
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Initializing roles mapping
8/27/2010 5:06:35 PM: Validating user:DOMAIN\Administrator against SharePoint mappings. Result:True

Can anyone help on what steps I may be missing? This is a newly installed TFS 2010 build. It seems to be working fine elsewhere (on VS 2010 I mean)


Regards.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

What version of SQL Server are you using?

Thanks, Ladislau

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM

SQL Server 2008. Actually the SSRS is in the App Tier and is separate from the Data Tier.

 

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:26 AM

I was experiencing a similar situation today.  The steps that I went through were the following and might be of help to you:

 

1) Does the reports tab in VS work for the project in question (yes)

2) Delete the TFS cache from the app data and let the tool generate it again (no effect)

3)  I have the source so I debugged it a little and confirmed that the bad report server value was coming from TFS and not from the tool. (confirmed)

4) Confirm that the link is set up correctly on the TFS server with the TFS administration tool. (yes)

5) Check the SSRS configuration manager to make sure that the URLs are registered correctly there.

This last step is where I found my problem.  In my case it was that we had updated the SSL certs and somehow the report server became decoupled from the new cert.  It still worked if you went to the URL, but TFS must have checked the registration because it said it was invalid and returned the app tier url and not the SSRS url.

Hopefully one of those steps will point you at your problem!

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM

@blueaccent: Based on the trace information your Team Foundation Server, returnshttp://localhost:8080/tfs/ as the URL of Reporting Services which is not correct. The TFS Administration Tool expects this to be the URL of the Reporting Services web service (Ex: http://SERVERNAME/ReportServer/ReportService.asmx or http://SERVERNAME/ReportServer/ReportService2005.asmx). I would suggest that you use the SSRS configuration manager as suggested by dwin to make sure that the URLs are registered correctly.

Ladislau