TFS Admin Tool Wont Update SharePoint Roles

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users
Jul 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Hello,

I'm running TFS 2010 on single server with Windows Server 2008 R2 and WSS 3.0 SP2. I can assign permissions to Team Foundation Roles and Reporting Services Roles without an issue, however, when assigning permissions to SharePoint roles it fails with the following output:

7/27/2010 2:26:50 PM: Exception occurred
                       Type: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException
                       Message: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.
                       InnerException: -
                       Source: System.Web.Services
                       Target: System.Object[] ReadResponse(System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientMessage, System.Net.WebResponse, System.IO.Stream, Boolean)
                       Stacktrace:    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePoint.UserGroup.AddUserToRole(String roleName, String userName, String userLoginName, String userEmail, String userNotes) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\Web References\SharePoint\Reference.cs:line 552
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePointProxy.AddUserToRole(String userName, String role, String displayName, String email, String description) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\SharePointProxy.cs:line 83
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.TeamFoundationServerProxy.SharePointAddUserToRole(String teamProject, String userName, String role) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\TeamFoundationServerProxy.cs:line 616
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Controllers.MainController.OnCommitChange(PendingChange pc) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool\Controllers\MainController.cs:line 203
7/27/2010 2:26:51 PM: Exception occurred
                       Type: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException
                       Message: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.
                       InnerException: -
                       Source: System.Web.Services
                       Target: System.Object[] ReadResponse(System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientMessage, System.Net.WebResponse, System.IO.Stream, Boolean)
                       Stacktrace:    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePoint.UserGroup.AddUserToRole(String roleName, String userName, String userLoginName, String userEmail, String userNotes) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\Web References\SharePoint\Reference.cs:line 552
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.SharePointProxy.AddUserToRole(String userName, String role, String displayName, String email, String description) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\SharePointProxy.cs:line 83
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.TeamFoundationServerProxy.SharePointAddUserToRole(String teamProject, String userName, String role) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy\TeamFoundationServerProxy.cs:line 616
   at TFSAdministrationTool.Controllers.MainController.OnCommitChange(PendingChange pc) in D:\Work\TFSAdmin\Main\src\TFSAdministrationTool\Controllers\MainController.cs:line 203

The project portals appear to be linked to TFS just fine and i have no problem assigning permissions manually but would really like to use this tool. Any thoughts on where i can look to try and troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM

A little more digging on this revelead the full error message via Fiddler:

soap:ServerException of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.This operation is not allowed on an object that inherits permissions.

Breaking the permission inheritance allowed me to update permissions, is this a bug? At the very least i think this exception could be handled a little more gracefully.

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Will,

Apologies for not getting back to you until now. Could you please provide me with more details regarding the permission inheritance as I would like reproduce the issue on my test server and adjust the tool to make sure that this scenario is handled more gracefully.

Thanks, Ladislau

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I have had the same issue trying to update permissions on a Sharepoint site that was set to inherit permissions from parent.  I went to the site and set it to stop inheriting from parent and the TFS Admin tool works fine. 

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Created work item 30157 to track this issue.

Thanks, Ladislau