TFS Admin Tool says "SharePoint Status unavailable"

Topics: For TFSAdmin Developers, For TFSAdmin Users
Apr 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Hi guys,

I get this error when doubleclicking an upgraded project (from TFS2008) from TFS Admin Tool. The message says

"The team project you are trying to connect to have no SharePoint associated with it. Any missing tier will be disabled from editing and greyed out"

Opening the project portal with Team Explorer 2008 and 2010 works fine, no issues there. I´ve done an upgrade from my TFS2008 databases and so I have a "manual" installation of WSS 3.0 (x64) and the web application. The WSS content database was added to the web application. A "native" TFS2010 project works without problems.

I don´t know wether this is a TFS Admin related or a TFS2010 configuration problem, anyway if someone has an advice on solving this I would be very thankful :) 

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM
Interesting. I'll see if I can duplicate. Let me see if I have this correct.

TFS 2008 Team Project with a WSS Team Project Site
Upgrade team project to TFS 2010
From Team Explorer you can load the Team Project and go to the Team Project WSS Site (same site as before?)
You open the Team Project in the TFS Admin tool and get the stated message.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM, hexerhasi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

I get this error on opening an upgraded project from TFS2008. The message says

"The team project you are trying to connect to have no SharePoint associated with it. Any missing tier will be disabled from editing and greyed out"

Opening the project portal with Team Explorer 2008 and 2010 works fine, no issues there. I´ve done an upgrade from my TFS2008 databases and so I have a "manual" installation of WSS 3.0 (x64) and the web application. The WSS content database was added to the web application.

I don´t know wether this is a TFS Admin related or a TFS2010 configuration problem, anyway if someone has an advice on solving this I would be very thankful :) 

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TFSAdmin@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TFSAdmin@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM

1. TFS 2008 Team Project with a WSS Team Project Site

• jup

2. Upgrade team project to TFS 2010

• installed a Win 2008 R2 box with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise x64 and WSS 3.0 x64 and created a web application for http://servername on port 80
  • restored databases to SQL Server
  • ran TFS2010 installation and with the wizard i have done an upgrade

3. From Team Explorer you can load the Team Project and go to the Team Project WSS Site (same site as before?)

• jup, same site (never looked at the urls before) and I bet thats the problem ;)

The upgraded projects dont have the project collection name in the url

• native portal url "http://servername/sites/DefaultCollection/projectname
  • upgraded portal url "http://servername/sites/projectname"

and so I think this is a SharePoint/TFS2010 related problem :) Thank you very much!

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM
I do think it is likely the URL. But it would be an issue with the Admin Tool. I bet something is wrong with the mechanism for deriving the Project Site URL. That should be an easy enough fix.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM, hexerhasi <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

1. TFS 2008 Team Project with a WSS Team Project Site

• jup

2. Upgrade team project to TFS 2010

• installed a Win 2008 R2 box with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise x64 and WSS 3.0 x64 and created a web application for http://servername on port 80
  • restored databases to SQL Server
  • ran TFS2010 installation and with the wizard i have done an upgrade

3. From Team Explorer you can load the Team Project and go to the Team Project WSS Site (same site as before?)

• jup, same site (never looked at the urls before) and I bet thats the problem ;)

The upgraded projects dont have the project collection name in the url

and so this is a SharePoint/TFS2010 related problem :) Thank you very much!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (TFSAdmin@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email TFSAdmin@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Apr 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I will look into this over the weekend.

Thanks, Ladislau

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I have further investigated this issue, and indeed the problem is caused by the way we "calculate" the URL of SharePoint in TFS Administration Tool 2.0 Beta. Since then, I have improved the detection logic and in case of Team Foundation Server 2010, we get the URL of SharePoint for each Team Project from the Team Foundation Server catalog. This problem should not be present in the RTM release.

Thanks, Ladislau

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Nice to hear, thank you!

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM

In case you would like to test the latest build, drop me an email at lszomoru@live.com and I will share it with you.

Thanks, Ladislau

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hi,

I think latest release (2.0 for TFS 2010) still has this problem. To replicate try the following:

1. Download Project Template

2. Perform any changes. Save

3. Upload project template back to TFS

4. Create Project using customized template

Upon using TFS Admin tool on this new project SharePoint will fail with "Service Unavailable" error

Thanks, Alex

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM
I have the same issue with TFS 2010, an brand new team project and the Admin Tool 2.0. The Share Point Portal works fine. I used a "_" in the name of my team collection. Maybe this is a problem for the Admin Tool?
Jul 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Now I know more:

Some sites work, others not.

In the log file I can see the following difference:

The ones that work: UserGroup.Url: http://wkoeteamfdt/sites/DefaultCollection/Project1/_vti_bin/usergroup.asmx

The one that doesn't work: UserGroup.Url:http://wkoeteamfdt/sites/DefaultCollection/Project2/_vti_bin/DummyUsergroup.asmx

The "Dummy" is the problem. How do I get rid of this?

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM
I had the same issue as cepheus The tool worked fine in the morning and when I created a couple of projects in the afternoon it failed to work and I was getting this error "The team project you are trying to connect to have no SharePoint associated with it. Any missing tier will be disabled from editing and greyed out" I tried it the next day and it seems to work fine now Can you please advise?
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Apologies for the late reply.

@alexslv

Could you please be more specific on the customizations that you have done to the Process Template? Could you also send me the contents of the Output window or the logs for the TFS Administration Tool to lszomoru@live.com? Based on that I should be able to track down the root cause of the problem. Thanks!

@cepheus

With Team Foundation Server 2010, you are able to create team projects without a SharePoint site or with a web site as the project portal. Based on the information that you provided, it looks like Project1 was created with a SharePoint site, while Project2 was created without a team portal or with a web site as a team portal (non-SharePoint site). The "Dummy" string was added on purpose, to illustrate that this is a Dummy url which will not be used by the TFS Aministration Tool as the team project does not have a SharePoint site.

To check on that could you please open Team Explorer 2010 and connect to Project2. Under Project2 do you see a "Documents" node? If not than the behavior that you are seeing is expected. In case Project2 has a "Documents" could you please send me the contents of the Output window or the logs for the TFS Administration Tool to lszomoru@live.com and I will look into it. Thanks!

@vinod2k1

Are you saying that the exact same team project was reported first being without a SharePoint site, and then the next morning is was reported with a SharePoint site? If so, it looks like there was either a problem with you SharePoint server or the SharePoint sites were added to the team project after the team project was created. In case you are able to reproduce the problem again please send me the contents of the Output window or the logs for the TFS Administration Tool to lszomoru@live.com and I will look into the problem.

Thanks, Ladislau

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:27 AM
lszomoru wrote:

@cepheus

With Team Foundation Server 2010, you are able to create team projects without a SharePoint site or with a web site as the project portal. Based on the information that you provided, it looks like Project1 was created with a SharePoint site, while Project2 was created without a team portal or with a web site as a team portal (non-SharePoint site). The "Dummy" string was added on purpose, to illustrate that this is a Dummy url which will not be used by the TFS Aministration Tool as the team project does not have a SharePoint site.

To check on that could you please open Team Explorer 2010 and connect to Project2. Under Project2 do you see a "Documents" node? If not than the behavior that you are seeing is expected. In case Project2 has a "Documents" could you please send me the contents of the Output window or the logs for the TFS Administration Tool to lszomoru@live.com and I will look into it. Thanks!

Both projects have Sharepoint enabled. During the time when I got that error, the sharepoint site was available. After some hours the error was gone. Now it works, but I didn't change a thing.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Strange. In case you are able to reproduce the problem please send me the contents of the output window or the logs that are generated.

Thanks, Ladislau

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM
The log entry is just the "Dummy line" instead of the line without dummy. I can however reproduce it. I made a new teamproject today (with sharepoint). TFS Admin tool couldn't find the site again. After some hours it worked. I already looked at your source. I couldn't compile it because I need some DLLs. I guess you installed some kind of SDK. Which one? Then I can debug it for you.
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Which DLL is missing? The assemblies that are using by the TFS Administration Tool 2.0 are installed by Team Explorer 2008. If you have Team Explorer 2008 installed on the box, you should have all the assemblies necessary to build your version of TFS Administration Tool 2.0. In Team Foundation Server 2010, each team project has a property called PortalType. In case the value of this property is not WssSite (SharePoint site), we set the Url to Dummy as the Url should not be used either way. In your case, it looks like for some reason, the PortalType property is different than WssSite. You just need to check out why is this happening. It might be a temporary issue with you SharePoint deployment.

Let me know how it goes. Ladislau

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Was there ever a solution for this ? We've migrated to TFS2010, and I've just created the first new project. Existing projects work fine with the admin tool, however the new one is reported as having sharepoint unavailable. It is not, the portal is there, documents are available from team explorer. Thanks.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Not for us. However, we have found that if you will allow some time since project creation and then try again - it will work. Not sure what is causing it, probably some kind of synch is occuring at some point after project has been created, which in turn then allows TFS Admin tool to see SharePoint permissions.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM
lszomoru wrote:

@alexslv

Could you please be more specific on the customizations that you have done to the Process Template? Could you also send me the contents of the Output window or the logs for the TFS Administration Tool to lszomoru@live.com? Based on that I should be able to track down the root cause of the problem. Thanks!

I have realised later that this issue would pop-up very occasionally, even with default template (with no customization). However it would then be resolved by itself after some time (see my previous post). I will try to catch a screen shot and logs for you when it happens next time.

P.S.

It never happens with existing projects, only with new, and only for some of them, and also only for some time since they were created... odd

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I've left mine over the weekend and it still errors, so not sure the time solution is correct. I think it is more likely an intermittent issue, and you got lucky.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Interestingly I've just created another project, and it all works fine. Still can't get it to work with the first one though.

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM

@brianj: Could you please send me the contents of the "Output" window to lszomoru@live.com and I will look into it.

Thanks, Ladislau

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Ladislau - I'm seeing the same behavior, if you haven't gotten sample output yet, I'd be happy to send mine.

Rgds,

Corey

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM

@lszomoru: I downloaded the latest code today to determine why I was receiving "SharePoint Status unavailable" Here is what I did.

1. New Environment (Servers where all Hyper-V virtuals)
    1. Stood up a new instance of TFS 2010 (TFS - server A, TFS DB - server B)
    2. Stood up a new version of SharePoint 2010 (SP - server C, SP DB - server D)
    3. Did Not stand up Reporting Services
    4. Client that is Running TFS Admin Tool has the following
      1. VS 2008, Team Explorer 
      2. VS 2010, Team Explorer
  2. Uploaded an internally modified Process Template to the TFS Server from step 1
    1. The only modifications to this template where adding AD Groups to the "Groups and Permissions" and adding a new Severity to the Bug Template
      1. The Process Template was based off of the stock CMMI v5 template
  3. Created 3 Team Sites with Portals (My Agile, My CMMI, Modified CMMI)
  4. Everything seemed to work fine from the perspective of TFS and SP.
  5. Went home - I Left TFS and SP alone for 15+ hours
  1. Downloaded the TFS Admin Tool.
  2. Deleted the 3 Sites from TFS and from SP that were created the evening before
  3. Created 2 new TFS Team sites with the same names from the previous night and one with a new name.  (My Agile, My CMMI, Internal CMMI)
    1. Site 1 - Stock CMMI v5 Process Template with SP Portal
    2. Site 2 - Stock Agile v5 Process Template with SP Portal
    3. Site 3 - Internal CMMI v5 Process Template with SP Portal
  4. Debugged TFS Admin v2.1.30826.0 from Visual Studio
    1. When walking the code in TFSAdministrationTool.Proxy.TeamFoundationServerProxy.GetTeamProjectProperty(string teamProject, string property) I noticed this

The Services Interfaces would pull back all the interfaces per TFS Team Site. I saw three team sites in the collection (My Agile, My CMMI, Modified CMMI). These were the team sites I created the evening before, well at least one of them was.  After 1+ hours of trying to determine why I was seeing a Team Site from the previous night I took a break.  When I tried again a few mins later I noticed the correct Team Project, Internal CMMI.

Almost exactly 2 hours after I created the Team Sites it was showing my newly created Team Site, Internal CMMI. I determined the length of time by looking at the change-set for the check-in of the Build XAML templates. These where checked in during the Team Project Creation.

So it looks like the TFS Admin Tool is working correctly but it is not retrieving live or accurate information. It looks like the TFS IRegistration Service is pulling from the warehouse or a cached copy, I am unsure of where.
The question is how do we determine how long to wait until the correct information will be available for the TFS Admin tool to work as designed?

Henry

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Henry,

First of all I would like to thank for looking into this issue. Last week I was wondering with a customer that was having some issues in Team Explorer 2005/2008 so I spent some time looking into the caching of IRegistration information. IRegistration information is cached both on the server side, and on the client side.

On the server side it is computed the first time a request is made, and the data is cached in memory. The only way to force the server to refresh the cache is to refresh IIS, or to make a change to the Team Foundation Server catalog (Ex: change the portal of a team project).

On the client side, the information is cached on disk, in the %USERPROFILER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Team Foundation folder. This cache is automatically refreshed every two hours. I guess in your case, the cache was containing the Url for the deleted team portal and after two hours, the cache was refreshed and the new (and correct) name appeared.

I will see if there is a way to always get the IRegistration information from the server.

Ladislau

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Edited Dec 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Hi,

I have had the same problem and after doing some debugging I found the solution: clear the cache and re-connect to tfs

The file to be deleted is something like
C: \ Users \ <UserName> \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Team Foundation \ 3.0 \ Cache \
<GUID>_http

and you could find it using InstanceClientCacheDirectory method of Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.IRegistration object

Thank you very much

Enri

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM

Enri,

We had the same issue and deleting the <guid>_http folders fixed it.  I reopened the TFS Admin Tool and it worked perfect.

Thanks!

Mike

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Enri,

Thank you for your solution. That worked for me too.

-James

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Enri,

We have the same issue on a Windows2003 envoirement, so i can't find the specified folder. Could you tell where i can find it?

Gertjan

UPDATE:

Found it!

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Team Foundation\3.0\Cache

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I got this error after creating a new project with a SharePoint site, then trying to use the TFS Admin tool to check permissions..  Taking the suggestionfrom others that caching was involved, I did IISRESET. No luck . Then I rebooted the TFS server, and it worked.

May 27, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Enri, 

Thank you!!...yur solution was greate! just I prefer to delete the whole Cache folder for insurance ;-)

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I have just experienced this same issue on Windows 7 with TFS 2010, SharePoint 2010, VS 2010 and TFS Admin tool 2.1.31204.0.

I solved it by going into the Cache directory mentioned by enrigrossi and deleted the most recent of the <GUID>_http directories.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM
One of my TFS admins is going to test a code fix for this that clears the cache on initial login & each time you click Refresh button. For those who want to compile it in themselves, the change is outlined below:

TeamFoundationServerProxy.cs:

Add the following function:
        /// <summary>
        /// Recursively removes all files and folders under the given path.
        /// Used to clear the TFS Cache to keep data current
        /// </summary>
        /// <returns></returns>
        private void ClearFolder(string folderName)
        {
            DirectoryInfo dir = new DirectoryInfo(folderName);

foreach (FileInfo fi in dir.GetFiles())
            {
                fi.Delete();
            }

foreach (DirectoryInfo di in dir.GetDirectories())
            {
                ClearFolder(di.FullName);
                di.Delete();
            }
        }        
Then at the top of the InitializeServerAndTeamProjectUsers() function, add the following:
            ClearFolder(m_TfsServer.ClientCacheDirectoryForInstance);
If it behaves as expected, the cache directory for the specific TFS server HTTP endpoint you are connecting to will be flushed.

Note: This has not been thoroughly tested yet and may not work as expected.
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I'm getting the error as well. TFS 2012, SP 2010

Any idea when this will be rolled into a new version?

Thanks,
Larry
Dec 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I have the same problem as Igwapnitsky.
When I create a TFS project in TFS2012, I have full Control on the SharePoint site (SP2010).

When I try to set the security I got this message.
If I wait one day, then I can set the security.

How does TFS Admin tool connect to SharePoint? Is it directly, through the WS or does it use the AD?

If it's with AD, then our synchronization here only runs at night.

Hope this issue is/can be solved in a newer version.